Tuesday, September 16, 2008

#37 "when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work... and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work.."

You have probably noticed that in some of my entries I refer to the future time when Gods Marvelous work BEGINS and in other entries I refer to the future time when Gods Marvelous Work RESUMES.


No, I am not schizophrenic.. I believe the Great Work actually started to come forth during Joseph Smiths First Commission in the Second Watch but it was hindered from going forth because of two things.


1- The disobedience of the churches abroad who refused to gather with the Saints who had gathered and their unwillingness to give of their substance to the poor and afflicted who were attempting to redeem Zion


2- The wickedness of the enemies of the church who hindered the righteous Saints who had gathered and were attempting to redeem Zion.


Unfortunately, as demonstrated in the last entry, the Churches that were still in a scattered condition abroad fell under condemnation for refusing to gather to Zion, and impart of their substance to the poor. For that reason, the redemption of Zion was delayed for a little season.


What about those of the Saints in Jackson County that were faithfully trying to redeem Zion?


The Lord addresses this in section 124:


“Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.


And the iniquity and transgression of my holy laws and commandments I will visit upon the heads of those who hindered my work, unto the third and fourth generation, so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord God.


Therefore, for this cause have I accepted the offerings of those whom I commanded to build up a city and a house unto my name, in Jackson county, Missouri, and were hindered by their enemies, saith the Lord your God.…


And this I make an example unto you, for your consolation concerning all those who have been commanded to do a work and have been hindered by the hands of their enemies, and by oppression, saith the Lord your God….


And again, verily I say unto you, I command you again to build a house to my name, even in this place, that you may prove yourselves unto me that ye are faithful in all things whatsoever I command you, that I may bless you, and crown you with honor, immortality, and eternal life. (D&C 124 49-51,53)


As you can see. The enemies of the Church HINDERED the work of God.


If the enemies of the Church had not HINDERED the work, Zion would have been redeemed during the second watch when the Saints had gathered to Jackson County in 1834 and would have redeemed Zion and ushered in the Millennium… and there would not have been a need for a third watch. (See post 36 and section 105)


Since the great work was hindered by the disobedience of the scattered Saints and by enemies who hindered the righteous Saints, God ordained a period of four generations before it could come forth again.


Therefore, when Joseph Smith and others return in their second commission during the third watch to finish their work, it will BEGIN to come forth again… but it is also appropriate to say that it will RESUME… since it had previously started to come forth in the second watch as the righteous Saints began to gather and redeem Zion.


It is critical to note that the righteous Saints that attempted to redeem Zion in Jackson County were commanded AGAIN to build a house unto the Lord to prove that they were faithful in all things whatsoever they are commanded… As mentioned in other posts, the Saints failed to complete the Temple in Nauvoo and therefore became a scattered church.


Were the Saints justified in Nauvoo like they were in Jackson? More on this later but for now, I submit to you the above scriptures documenting that the great work was HINDERED by enemies and therefore would need to resume four generations later. .


PS


According to the 1828 Websters Dictionary the word hinder means: Stopped; impeded; obstructed; retarded.


The following verse in Luke 11:53 of the Joseph Smith Translation is amazing. I am going to speak in a broader sense about this verse at a later time when I do my post regarding the significance of the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible and the part it plays in understanding the events of the last days and also the role it plays in the Marvelous Work and a Wonder… but for now please notice how the Lord acknowledges that corrupt people were able to “hinder” the Saints who were in the process of entering the Kingdom of God, from entering into the Kingdom of God:


“Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge, the fulness of the scriptures; ye enter not in yourselves into the kingdom; and those who were entering in, ye hindered. (JST Luke 11:53)



No comments: